[nagdu] Nowhere to go?

Hannah Chadwick sparklylicious at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 21:19:42 UTC 2012

Sarah,
I think many people here would agree with me that it might be good to master
the cane techniques before you get a dog. Dogs can get sick at unexpected
times and you will need to whip out your cane for those times. Also, you
might not want to bring your dog everywhere because sometimes it may be
inconvenient.
It is a lot of work to train with a dog, but it's more work once you
graduate because at the guide dog school, you have support and people who
understand your needs as well as your dogs, but when you're home, it's
basically all up to you. There's a huge responsibility and you must walk
your dog often to keep up the training as well as to let them get exercise.
You've mentioned that the training program made you more afraid and now as a
result, all you want to do is to stay at home. Perhaps you should weigh the
pros and cons of what it means to have a dog and to care for someone other
than just yourself?
I received my dog in February and there has been a lot of ups and downs, but
at the end of the day, I'm glad I got a dog. For me, it's easier to have a
dog on my college campus. UC Davis is huge, and having Princess has really
made a big difference.
Please feel free to email me off list if you have any additional questions.
My email is: hchadwick at ucdavis.edu
All the best, Hannah