[nagdu] crates

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Sep 26 12:15:22 UTC 2012

I've always had the plastic variety.  I can't think of any particular
reason why, just because I guess.  The one downstairs I bought at a farm
supply type store way back in the day when I first started training
dogs.  I've had to replace the nuts and bolts, but other than that it's
still in great shape.  The crate upstairs I bought on line a few years
ago for Monty.  I'm remembering it was about $100, but he's a really
tall dog.  A general rule of thumb is to purchase a crate a few inches
more than the height of your dog at the shoulder.  So a typical lab
seems to be 22 inches at the shoulder, so a crate about 26 inches high
or so should be the right size.  Bigger is fine, but too small will be
uncomfortable for the dog.   A crate mat is a good idea too, but like I
said before I fold up an old blanket.  Your mileage may vary, especially
if your dog is a chewer.

HTH
Julie