[nagdu] Intro

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Wed Sep 26 23:42:32 UTC 2012

Hi Marsha,
I think you may have meant me, Lyn.  Landon was raised in Philly and went to
a college with his puppy raiser.  No, we don't know who the raiser is but we
get a "Puppy Profile" and it said that Landon was raised in Philly by a
young woman who was a college student and that was all about them.  the
Profile had other things about Landon's life before he went to TSE to train
but i forget what else was in it - haven't looked at it in five years. LOL!

I hope you enjoy your new Lab cross and that she works oout well for you.
Give yourself time before posting about her - you want to make sure she
works out first, I'd imagine.

I went to GDF in 1973 and again in 1975.  John Byfield was Director of
Training then.  I got a black Lab in 1973 and she was retired after two
years because she couldn't adjust to going potty anywhere else except for
home and I was all over the place as a young 22 year old!  That dog was an
adult dog donation which they NEVER do anymore.  She lived in someone's back
yard and wasn't raised to be a guide dog.  She was a good guide but her lack
of guide dog socialization showed.  the second one I had from GDF was a
yellow Lab and was so mellow and she was only a year old when I got her!
She was ready to retire at age seven - she was done!

I thought GDF was a good school but I always wanted to go to TSE but they
didn't take partially sighted folks at that time but they changed that and I
got to go in 1988 after several years using a cane.  I worked in food
service and there was no place for a dog there.  I would have had to leave
the dog at home all day and that wasn't going to be fair so I just went
without a dog then until I had a different job when I went to TSE.

Have fun on class!

Lyn and Landon
"Education creates tolerance towards diversity."