[nagdu] Naming names

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Apr 18 16:34:06 UTC 2013

Eve,

I don't agree with your assertion that people should not be using this list
to find out about the various guide dog programs.  You suggest that people
should go directly to the source, the guide dog program.

I view getting a guide dog like any other consumer acquisition.  Let's say
I'm in the market for a car.  I'm thinking about a Fordor a Toyota.  I go to
the Ford dealership and ask about their cars.  They are going to tell me all
the wonderful things about their cars and how they are better than the rest.
Then I go to the Toyota dealer and guess what? they tell me all the same
things except of course their cars are the best, even better than Ford.  So
how do I figure out what is what and who to believe?  I go to the users.

I start asking my friends who use the products I'm interested in about their
experiences and satisfaction.  When I'm out and about I notice the products
I'm interested in in use.  I make a note of whether or not I like what I'm
hearing and observing.   I make my decision based on all the information I
have gathered.

I think this list and others like it, are the exact right place to get
information about guide dogs from actual users.

Over the years I've had a lot of conversations with a lot of guide dog users
and program staff.  I've been around a lot of guide dog teams and have seen
first hand how they work in a real life situation.  If I had called the
schools or read the info on their web sites I would in no way have the same
understanding of what they are offering.

All that said I think there absolutely needs to be respectful discussion.
Perhaps I have a much higher tolerance for negativity than others, but I
rarely see bashing or flaming on this list.  I'm totally okay with people
respectfully disagreeing with an idea.  I also think it's very important for
people to limit their sharing with firsthand accounts.  The stuff that
begins with my next door neighbor's, hairdressers brother had a guide dog
from XYZ and I heard it was horrid are truly inappropriate.  I honestly see
no problem with a statement like, "I had a guide dog from XYZ and it was
horrid."  That's not hearsay or gossip.  That's a honest firsthand account.

Anyway that's my .02 for what it's worth.
Julie