[nagdu] Chinese Restaurants.

Deanna Lewis DLewis at clovernook.org
Mon Apr 22 13:32:51 UTC 2013

Good Morning all,
I have had some bad experiences in Chinese Restaurants since having a guide dog. Most of the time, the restaurant is very good about the dog. But, every once in a while you get people who just do not understand what a guide dog does.
So, there is this one restaurant that is a Chinese Buffet that is close to where I live. I went to it a few years ago with Pascal and my friend. As soon as we walked in, the lady said, "No dogs." I simply explained that he was a guide dog. She seemed to understand, but then she said that he could come in, but had to stay at the table and that I could not take him to the buffet. At the time, I did not know if this was legal or not. Also, it was a new restaurant and I did not feel comfortable sending my friend to the buffet to serve me. So, we just left, and I have not been back there yet.
Since then, I have taken my dog to many American food buffets, and they do not have a problem with my taking him to the actual buffet. I also took him to a different Chinese Buffet and had no problems.
So, my main issue is this, I want to try to go back to this Chinese buffet and see what happens. After all, it has been over 3 years and I hope that since then they have had many more guide dog teams come in. What should I do if they say the same thing? Have you all ever experienced similar discrimination? What would you do in this situation?
Thank you for any advice.
Deanna and Pascal