[nagdu] Guide dog breeds

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Mon Apr 29 22:42:14 UTC 2013

To the person with "irsj" beginning their email - you didn't put your name!
You wondered if Labs made the best guide dogs.

Many individuals of many breeds make great guide dogs.  I think the reason
that Labs are used as extensively as they are is because the most number of
blind people can use them.  There is a wide range of personalities, energy
levels, and sizes in the Labrador Retriever.  I personally haven't seen this
range to this degree in many other breeds.

I have had mostly Labs for my guides and I did have two German shepherds and
Landon is a Lab/Golden mix - total of 8 dogs for me.  Personally, I have
found that the Lab or Lab mixes work the best for me in energy level and
more mellow so I don't have to give a billion leash corrections.  I had had
a shoulder, neck and back injury and I really don't like to be constantly
giving hard leash corrections like I found I had to do on the shepherds I
had.

Shepherds and Dobies tend to challenge their owners in pushing the envelop
as far as rules go.  They are very smart and think two steps ahead of many
owners.  You really have to earn their respect and the owner has to think
two steps ahead of the dog!  Many Labs are more laid back and don't
challenge their owner's authority as much like a Dobie, Poodle, or shepherd
does.  Also, Labs tend to birth large litters - about 8-10 pups.  For the
schools, more bang for their buck and most in that litter will become
guides.

In this country, the show world and the popularity of Rin Tin tin has ruined
the German shepherd breed.  they either have health issues in their hips or
they have a temperment issue with shyness or aggression.  I know that GDB
has stopped putting out shepherds because of this problem.  there was a
higher failure rate among their breeders and puppies and have quit using the
German shepherd altogether.  Many schools have very few of them for the same
reason.  Seeing Eye gets their German shepherd breeding stock from Germany
because Germany's dogs are bred to work and the American ones were bred to
look great.  I think Fidelco gets theirs from Germany as well.

I'm glad that many schools get individuals from breeds not usually used like
Poodles.  I knew two people who had Belgian shepherds. a couple with Boxers,
Dobies, and Hungarian Vislas.  Some were better than others but the major
problems with these dogs was the handler and not the dog.

I am happy that good dogs can be found for the wide range of preferences of
the blind folks who work with dogs.

Hey Eve, liked that about the mathematicians!  When God was installing the
math brains, I was doing art and missed out on them! LOL!

Lyn and landon
"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown