[nagdu] working up to obstacles

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 15:41:15 UTC 2013

I think this is maybe my last message today. <Grin> Anyway, I think dogs are like people in this respect. Some show more initiative than others, and that may be because of an inner confidence. I always suggest forward for a while if I can find nothing when we've stopped. If that doesn't work, I'll suggest left or right, depending on where I am, and try the other if that does not work. Usually one will, but often I don't have to worry about it. We did obstacle training with Spencer. When we did a solo on the route and we came to the place where an obstacle had been, Spencer stopped, so I suggested left. He did that, but this all came as a result of the former obstacle that had been planted there. There wasn't one. The instructors said old habits die hard. LOL. In his later life as he matured and grew more confident, his work was more intuitive than that, but it was cute, and it showed his heart/brain was/were in the right plavce.

Cindy Lou