[nagdu] working up to obstacles

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Apr 30 17:51:33 UTC 2013

Ben will go within a few feet of the obstacle, then turn to go around it.
He only stops if the alternate path is also narrow, like when a car is
across the sidewalk and a tree is close to the path to go around the car,
or at the curb, if we have to step into the street.

In class, we worked what the trainer called a trap.  She laid out
construction tape along the side, then blocked it with more tape at the
end.  The dog is supposed to see that the end is blocked and not go in the
trap at all.  I kinda messed Ben up though, because, when he went to turn
away from the trap, I thought he was messing around and made him go in.
He seems confused about such things to this day.

All my other dogs worked obstacles the same as Ben, go within a few feet,
then choose a path around.  At GDB, they wanted us to go up to the
obstacle and then turn, but I dropped that at the first opportunity.
Tracy