[nagdu] Service Dog Access and Work Vs. Play

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Sun Aug 4 01:21:15 UTC 2013

    Some of the recent messages have made an interesting question come into
my mind. There are places that we as humans go to have where dogs sometimes
are not allowed. These places also can potentially be a play opportunity for
dogs; however, dogs are often not allowed. So, my question is, if service
dogs are allowed to accompany their handlers for assisting them, are the
dogs also allowed to do the fun things that pet dogs are not allowed to do?
I know that this is a slightly confusing question, so here is an example.

    There are sledding areas on mountains that you can go to to sled. Some
of them do not allow dogs--I know from experience. Lets say that there is a
person who has a guide dog who lives with his/her family. The family is
taking a day trip to one of these sledding areas, and, as expected, the
guide dog comes along too. Once at the sledding area, the person, for
whatever reason, chooses to have a sighted family member help him/her get to
the top of the sledding area. Should the guide dog be allowed to play in the
snow at the sledding area if the dog is not doing it as a way of helping
his/her handler?

Nicole and Lexia