[nagdu] Clearing up confusion over service animals

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Mon Aug 5 04:07:55 UTC 2013

Hi, Steve,

I'm not sure what your objection is to this article.  Is it that the article
doesn't specifically state that species other than dogs are excluded from
the definition of service animals under the ADA?  Or is it the fact that the
article doesn't mention that persons with disabilities accompanied by
miniature horse service animals should be provided with the same access to
business as those accompanied by service dogs?  The first sentence of the
article states, "Service animals may be of any type or breed of dog and need
not be certified by any governmental agency or service group."  This
sentence seems to me to correctly reflect the most recent rules governing
the ADA which defines service animals as "dogs".  Although the article does
fail to mention that miniature horse service animals are also to be
considered in the same ways as service dogs, the article certainly does not
give the impression that animals of other species are included in the
definition of service animals under the ADA.

I think the article did a good job of succinctly stating the basic
requirements of business owners under the provisions of the ADA regarding
people with disabilities accompanied by service animals.  I like that it is
mentioned that no tags or harness are required and that service animals can
be trained by individuals as well as by training programs.  I also like that
the two questions that business owners can ask are clearly stated and also
the mention of the fact that no licence or identification can be asked for.

All in all, even though I am a miniature horse guide owner, and I would
welcome a note which said that the same rules apply to miniature horse
service animal handlers, (with a few additional stipulations,) I think I
would find this document useful in communicating with business owners, and
think it would be helpful if the general public and business owners were
aware of the facts presented in it.

To me the article does seem to do a good job of reflecting the most recent
revisions of the ADA regulations.  So I'm interested in hearing why you find
it out of date.

Best,
Ann