[nagdu] Guide Dogs in Condo swimming pools.

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Mon Aug 5 04:43:53 UTC 2013

Hi, Marion and All,

Just one more possible consideration--
Don't the ADA regulations require that service dogs be on leash at all times
unless doing so would interfere with the animal's performance of it's tasks,
in which case the animal must be under the handler's control by some other
means?  If this is indeed the case, then I would think that the guide dog
would at the very least have to be kept on leash while in the pool.

My feeling is that our service animals are "on duty" or "working" when in
public places, and should not be given special privileges of "playing" in
areas where other animals are not permitted.  I agree with you that the
handler must be permitted to enter the restricted area accompanied by the
service animal.  But to me, while the person may exercise, relax, socialize,
or play in the pool, the dog should remain in harness or at least on leash
and lying down in a safe place.  I certainly would not think it acceptable
for a handler to turn his service animal loose in a gym or in an amusement
park, so I agree that a service dog handler does not have the right to turn
the animal loose in a swimming pool to play.

While we are often reminded that guide dogs are still "dogs", we must
remember that guide and service dogs are not "pets."  The ADA protects our
right to access public places with our service dogs; it does not give us
license to turn our service dogs loose to play in public places.  I think we
have to provide play opportunities for our service animals in our own homes
or at the homes of friends or relatives or in places where pets are
permitted, but not in public places where pet animals are not allowed.

Best,
Ann