[nagdu] question about traveling to new places.

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Mon Aug 5 15:58:17 UTC 2013

Rhonda,

I hope the training goes well for you!

Mitzi is really bad about not eating when we travel, especially at
first. It was worse when she was younger, and a couple of times she
would run out of energy and get sluggish and kinda cranky but still
refuse to eat. So I finally figured out to put treats in her bowl and
play "hidden treasure," which can tempt her. Or I would carry kibble
instead of training treats and try to get her to eat a few mouthfuls
here and there while we were on the go. Sometimes putting water in the
food will also ensure that she's getting enough of both. Adding some
canned food can also help. When we're doing leisure travel now, I just
figure she can be hungry or not. But if it's something where we're using
extra energy and are on a tight schedule with extra stress, I do more
fiddling to make sure she gets enough to keep going until she settles
down and starts eating more normally.

hth,

Tami