[nagdu] how much is too much?

L Gwizdak leg1950 at cox.net
Tue Aug 13 22:52:46 UTC 2013

Hi Julie J,
Therapy dogs don't have much in task training than a well behaved pet -
which they really are.  The dog needs to be one who likes to interact with
strangers and not jump on people.  Most programs for therapy dogs want the
dog to have taken and passed the CGC Test to make sure the dog won't freak
out by souonds, smells and sights that are in a typical nursing home, psyche
ward, or school.  The dog has to be able to handle strange ways of touch
that may come from a person who can't use their hands well.  I also think
many programs wants the dog to be at least 6 months old, but prefer older
than that so they know the dog is able to be house trained.  They need to be
up to date on all shots and vaccines, be clean, free of fleas, and healthy.

Also preferred are dogs who aren't totally rambunctious and are able to self
control at some level - thus a little older than 6 months if possible.  This
gives time for a pup to gain socialization and some training.  Yes, they do
NOT have the same access rights as a service dog that is trained to perform
a task to mitigate a person's disability.

HTH,

Lyn and Landon

"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown