[nagdu] Suggestions needed!

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Sat Aug 17 15:03:02 UTC 2013

Yes, Julie, but then how many guide dogs would be asked to leave National
Convention hotels each year because of "accidents?"  The "housetraining"
requirement, like most of the other proposed or already-included-in-the-regs
requirements are by no means as black and white as they might at first
seem.--"But sir, my dog really is housetrained.  He's never had an accident
before.  He must be ill, or the stress...."  Or, "Fleas, no, my dog doesn't
have fleas.  He's scratching because he has allergies that cause his skin to
itch.  He's under the care of a veterinarian, really."  Or, "No, my dog
isn't vicious.  That man just backed up and stepped right on the dog's tail.
And the guy weighs 300 pounds.  And he didn't even realize that he was
grinding my dog's tail into the floor.  And of course my dog tried to jump
up and get out from under the guy's foot.  And of course he yelped in pain.
And it's not the dog's fault that when the tail was jerked out from under
his foot that the guy lost his balance and fell down.  Really, my dog didn't
knock the guy over."

It has always bothered me, for example, that one of the extra considerations
that business owners can consider when deciding whether to allow access to a
public accommodation for people with disabilities accompanied by miniature
horse service animals is whether the miniature horse is housetrained.  How
exactly is a business owner supposed to know/ascertain that a miniature
horse is or is not housetrained as the team approaches the place of business
and attempts to gain entry?

Just my Saturday morning musings.

Best,
Ann