[nagdu] Are we in search of a solution without a problem?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Aug 18 13:10:50 UTC 2013

Thank you!

The two dogs I've been around that were questionable were noticeable because
of their behavior. One of them was wearing a walking harness used for pet
dogs, available at any Wal-Mart, Target or pet store.  the other dog was
under a table, so I don't know what it was wearing.

The problem isn't the gear, it's the people who decide to break the law.
They know they are doing something wrong and they don't care.  We need to
pass laws that will inspire them to care.

It's the horrid behavior that is disruptive.  It's the behavior that is
noticed first.  It is the behavior that requires dedicated effort to produce
and that frauds won't commit to.  the whole reason people are passing their
pets as service dogs is to take a shortcut.  they don't want to pay the pet
deposit, hire a dog sitter, sit in the outdoor patio at a restaurant or cut
their evening short to get home and care for their pet. They sure aren't
going to spend the months or years that it takes to train a service dog.

A vest or harness or fancy tag does not make a service dog.  the training
does.  The DOJ's business guidance on service animals is very clear that the
dog must be individually trained to perform tasks to mitigate the
individual's disability.  If it was the gear that made the difference the
DOJ would have said that the dog must wear gear that identifies or makes it
a service dog.  Jeeze, I could put on a white coat and hang a stethoscope
around my neck so I could be a doctor and get paid a lot more, if that is
the way it worked.  BTW, white coats and stethoscopes are available for
purchase on the internet.

I see the problem as twofold.  First businesses don't know they don't have
to put up with the crazy ill behaved dogs.  They don't know they can ask the
handler to remove the dog.  Second, there is a lot of fear of being sued for
discrimination.  Businesses choose to put up with a beast of a dog for 30
minutes rather than face a possible long drawn out adventure through the
court system.

We've done a really good job of educating businesses on our civil rights in
allowing service dogs.  Now we need to educate businesses on their rights to
refuse ill behaved beasts.

Julie