[nagdu] First Year with Diamond!

Shanna Stichler slstich at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 07:30:28 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I forgot to write this earlier, what with being out of town yet again,
but as of August 14, Diamond and I have been a team for a whole year
already. The 1 year mark is key for me because the first year with a new
dog is always the roughest. This was particularly true with Diamond,
because I had a very hard time letting go of my previous dog and
transitioning to a new, young, high-drive puppy who had to learn more or
less everything about being a guide dog. Diamond and Nestle are polar
opposites except in their love of guiding, and training a dog from the
ground up was much more time-intensive than I expected. I thought I knew
how much work it would be, but I don't think anyone really does until
they actually start the process.

Having said that, I now am proud to have such a beautiful, brilliant dog
at my side. She loves to work, and is a fun, interactive companion out
of harness. She is my perfect match who is always up for an adventure
and takes everything I ask of her in stride. Our next goals are
performance titles, specifically obedience and tracking!

I hope everyone and your dogs are doing well.

Best,
Shanna and Diamond