[nagdu] Cow Femur Bones, Yay or Nay?

Tonia toniafaye at insightbb.com
Mon Aug 19 21:42:21 UTC 2013

Hi all!  So far, I've only given Wes, my first guide dog, Nylabones to chew
on.  I've heard though about some handlers giving their dogs cow femurs to
chew on.  While at the state fair over the weekend, I met a vendor selling
roasted cow femurs.  He insisted they wouldn't splinter like many other
bones you'd buy at the pet store, because his bones are roasted for 4 days.
So, I impulsively bought one but am now having second thoughts about giving
it to my dog.  Actually, I did let him chew on it some yesterday; but only
long enough to work on getting all the meat and gristle off the outside.
While it didn't sound like he was able to break any of the bone off and
hasn't had any negative side effects; I'm still reluctant to let him chew on
it any more.  I'd appreciate hearing whether or not any of you have allowed
your dogs to chew on any bones other than the Nylabones.

Tonia