[nagdu] Owner trainers

Shanna Stichler slstich at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 03:30:03 UTC 2013

I personally never had a problem with access or anything like that.
Finding a harness was difficult, not because there aren't places to get
them, but because I'm very picky about my gear. I finally resorted to
having one custom-made for me.

There is no agency who deems a dog worthy of becoming a qualified dog
guide. The ADA does not require this, and actually under the current
regulations, it would be illegal to insist on certification. I'd say
most owner-trainers are very careful to make sure our dogs have a good
obedience foundation before taking them out in public, at least to
places that are not typically dog-friendly. If the dog miss-behaves, and
they do at first, I just deal with the situation as it comes up. It's
very clear to most people that I am taking steps to get my dog back
under control, so I never had anyone complain about her naughtier
moments. She never had accidents, chewed things she shouldn't, or
anything like that though ether. If people did ask about her, I was
always very honest about her in training status, and I would have
understood if a business had concerns, but it really never came up for us.

Shanna and Diamond

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/sherriola%40gmail.c

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/julielj%40neb.rr.co

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/tami%40poodlemutt.c