[nagdu] Owner trainers

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Aug 20 15:09:46 UTC 2013

Yes, I really wanted a Boxer or Doberman.  They are working breeds, instead
of sporting or herding.  the working breeds are more serious, intensely
dedicated to their job.  They don't mind people, but are generally strongly
attached to their person and don't seek attention from others.  These two
breeds also have short coats that are easier on my husband's allergies.

There are currently only two programs that offer Boxers and Dobermans,
Gallant Hearts and Pilot.  Other big considerations to picking a program for
me were  ownership and method of training.  Gallant Hearts offers
co-ownership and Pilot offers ownership, but I've never seen their contract,
so I don't know exactly what they mean by ownership.  I also wanted a dog
who was trained through positive methods, including food rewards and not
involving leash corrections early in the training.  Neither of these two
schools uses clicker training.

So if I wanted my German working dog, positive training, food rewards,
involvement in choosing my particular dog, additional training for my
balance issue and full and complete ownership, I had the choice of owner
training or hiring a trainer.

What it comes down to, is figuring out what is what you want, what you need
and what is non negotiable.  Once I stopped trying to convince myself that I
might be okay with a correction trained dog or a lab or not completely
owning my dog, things became much simpler and less stressful.  At that point
it was easy to see the choices and pick one.

I ended up with Jetta, who is a Doberman, complete ownership and a trainer
who is dedicated to positive training methods.  It's the right choice for
me.  Not saying it's the right choice for anyone else, but I think each of
us knows when we've found the place where we need to be.  It feels right,
like everything has finally clicked into place.  It's a very peaceful
feeling.

Julie