[nagdu] Cost of a service dog

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Aug 27 14:49:28 UTC 2013

Marion's recent question about the cost of a service dog got me thinking.
It's my impression that many non-guide service dog training centers charge
a lot to their clients, like thousands of dollars.  When TSE started out,
they charged a fee that was substantial at the time, but now is less than
I've spent taking guests out to a nice dinner.  The norm among guide dog
schools is to charge nothing, or a nominal fee, so much so that I hear
people complain about TSE's fee.
I wonder why other service dog training centers charge so much, while
those for guide dogs charge so little?  My first guess Is it's because the
guide dog schools are well-established charities, with sufficient
donations.  Or is it possible that blind people expect to get things free,
and other disabled people don't?
The cost certainly explains the relative numbers of owner-trainers.  If I
had to raise thousands every time I needed a new dog, it would make
owner-training a very attractive alternative.
Anyway, just wondering, and not complaining.
Tracy