[nagdu] Service dogs who were pets

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Fri Aug 30 17:43:45 UTC 2013

The few such programs I've looked into do seem to talk about public
manners and training for that in their literature. How firm they are in
teaching the etiquette to their clients, I can't say. They tend to shy
away from guide dogs in training, but the ones I contacted were very
nice about it. /smile/

There seem to be a couple -- or maybe even a few -- OTs floating around
the Portland Metro area whose dogs are kinda nightmares. But I've only
run into the other kind, who talk more about public access and manners
than any other facet of training and handling. Some seem to have done it
all on their own. Others had assistance from one of the helper
organizations.

I think you may be onto something with attitude being a factor for the
talented pet with a bit of task-training (or even a lot) tacked on. I
got Mitzi hoping she would work out as a guide, but even so I found that
I had to watch myself to not get sucked in by The Adorable Precious.
Times when people were cooing and giving her all sorts of attention, I
had to be very firm in remaining in the habit of remembering that she
was a working dog and that it was up to me to teach her manners and then
continue to have her practice them. Sometimes folks would actually
argue. So for those prone to think their pet's acting like a pet is okay
to begin with, there may not be much motivation to be strict about
manners or even learn them? Who can say?

Getting education to them if they're not looking for it would be
difficult... Hm... Targeted TV and radio ads might reach people, but
who's going to pay for that? Is there enough of a problem to warrant
that level of advertising? I don't know. It's more of a random thought.

Tami