[nagdu] Service dogs who were pets

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Aug 30 18:04:25 UTC 2013

I think it really depends on how the dogs were raised, not so much that they
were pets.  For example many pet owners think the begging thing is cute and
allow it.  However there are many pet owners who think begging is not cool
and don't allow it.  Same goes with jumping up, stealing food, sniffing
inappropriately etc.  I know some pet dogs who could very easily transition
to being service dogs.  I think you're right though, in that most folks
don't have very big expectations of what their dog should be doing if it is
transitioned from pet to service dog.  The mindset of it's okay at home so
it's okay here, seems to be pretty common. I guess I'm saying that it's not
so much that the dog was a pet, but how the person views pets, as what I see
as a potentially problematic situation.

Julie