[nagdu] Escalators

Doug Parisian eggmann at mymts.net
Mon Dec 9 17:14:39 UTC 2013

Larry, I agree with the need to learn how to work your dog on an escalator
in case the need arises.  Like others have said, I've been in places where
the only way up or down may be the escalator.  I well understand why some
people would rather not use them, either for personal reasons, or simply not
feeling confident in safety for the dog.

All of my dogs seemed to enjoy the ride.  Further, I taught all of my dogs
to take the big leap before the stairs slither under that plate at either
end. For safety reasons, I try to use stairs if nearby but the escalator
ride was seen as a form of treat by a couple of my beasts.  Guess TSI has
managed to find five crazy dogs for me; ya think they know something about
me that I don't?

Not sure how many folks have experienced that, in some places the paired
escalators occasionally being reversed so that one goes up where it used to
go down, while it's partner does the opposite.  My last dog somehow never
figured out this trick so that I eventually got her to stop just at the
start so I could check the rail for direction.  My previous dog to the last
seemed to be able to figure this out without any issues.  The gibbering and
twittering by some folks should I even approach one of those machines with
stairs coming towards me is almost entertaining.

One strategy I find useful is to be sure there is lots of space between me
and whatever human is ahead of me to give my pup lots of space.

Doug: I just heard that the price of down if up.