[nagdu] Winter Apparel For Dogs

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 01:43:45 UTC 2013

Mark,et al.The way I have gotten my problem dogs used to boots is to pick a
day that I am home with nothing planned. I put the boots on the dog and if
he takes them off, I use a muzzle and put the boots on again. The kind of
muzzle I use is a basket muzzle so the dog can still drink and receive
treats through the muzzle. If the dog does not remove the boots, there is
no need for the muzzle.If the dog refuses to walk or even get up,I just
leave the dog alone for awhile. Eventually the dog will see the other dogs
walking around and the dog gets up and walks. At first they prance like a
show horse but they then begin to walk normally. A fter having the boots on
for several hours or the entire day if that is what it takes,the dog
realizes that the boots are not hindering them and they get used to
them.Both Shaman, my shepherd and Neechee. my husky had no problem with the
boots when I put them on for the first time except for prancing for the
first few minutes.If the dew claws present a problem, I put a small piece
of cotton under the dew claw and use some vet wrap to wrap around the paw
and over the  dew claw.This keeps the cotton in place and protects the skin
under and on top of the dew claw from being irritated.It takes a little
extra time to do this every time I put the boots on but it is worth it.Dogs
will always think they can get your sympathy but I don't give in and take
off the boots and they finally give in none for the worse. Of course,I only
use the boots in the Summer here so my dogs feet don't get burned on the
hot pavement.We seldom get snow in Tucson Arizona and it doesn't stick to
the ground even if we do get some.I hope this is helpful.  Take care, Mardi
and Shaman and Neechee.

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/