[nagdu] FYI FW: Michigan regs on animal imports

Michael Hingson Mike at michaelhingson.com
Sat Dec 28 19:20:14 UTC 2013

Jenine,

Thanks.  Please keep us posted.

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Jenine Stanley
Sent: Friday, December 27, 2013 05:16 PM
To: 'NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users'
Subject: Re: [nagdu] FYI FW: Michigan regs on animal imports

Michael,

One of our grads brought this to my attention last week when the original
press release hit. We've been talking with the Department of Agriculture
people since then. We played an energetic game of phone tag today but
hopefully by Monday there will be an answer on this one.

Yes, federal law does trump  state law and requiring any type of paperwork
for service animals to enter the state of Michigan without a very strong
public health threat would be a violation of the ADA imho.

We have strongly advised the Michigan Department of Agriculture to contact
the Department of Justice for appropriate language to exemp service animal
handlers from these provisions.

Hope that helps.

Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com