[nagdu] Australia: Guide dog dead after being left in hot car

Ginger Kutsch GingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 7 13:03:59 UTC 2013

Australia: Guide dog dead after being left in hot car

By Aleisha Orr

Published: February 7, 2013

A guide dog in training has died after being left in a hot car for two hours
by an Association for the Blind of WA employee on Friday.

The incident was a sad mistake, as the staff member was believed to have
forgotten that the dog was in the car.

A media statement from the Association for the Blind of WA confirmed the
"tragic incident."

"Collette, aged two years, was accidentally left in the vehicle of one of
the Association's staff members on Friday 1 February 2013," the statement
said.

The dog was a guide dog in training.

"Collette was tragically found deceased when the staff member returned to
their vehicle approximately two hours later.

"While the association operates under the highest standards, we will now
review our procedures regarding the arrivals and departures of our guide
dogs in training to ensure a tragedy like this does not happen again.

"This is a sad and isolated incident that does not reflect the longevity and
quality of the guide dog program."

It is understood that the staff member involved was distraught at what
happened.

They were taken for medical treatment and will be provided with ongoing
counselling.

"Obviously, our entire staff are devastated at Collette's death and our
chief priority is to support them through this incredibly distressing time."

Chief executive officer Clare Allen said the tragedy was a sobering reminder
to all pet owners to be vigilant with the care of their pets in vehicles
during high temperatures.

The RSPCA was notified of the incident on Wednesday.

RSPCA spokesman Tim Mayne said representatives from the society would meet
with the Association for the Blind of WA to discuss what happened.

He said he could not say whether an official investigation would be launched
until the RSPCA received more details about the incident.

"We understand it was a staff member who left the dog in the car when they
went to work and it was later found dead," Mr Mayne said.

According to observations from the Bureau of Meteorology, the temperature
reached 36.1 degrees on Friday.

The RAC regularly warns motorists of the dangers of leaving children and
pets in cars during the summer months.

A previous warning by RAC patrolman Leigh Bavin said this was particularly
dangerous behaviour.

"As the temperature inside a parked car can be as much as 20 degrees to 30
degrees higher than the outside temperature," he said.

This story was found at:
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/guide-dog-dead-after-being-left-in-hot-car
-20130207-2dzwn.html