[nagdu] posts and petting

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Feb 9 17:46:12 UTC 2013

Keeping the dog on track when everybody is intent on petting and talking
and making noises at said dog is a tough one sometimes, especially with
a younger dog. Used to make me crazy, but now I guess we're both used to
the extra attention and have our ways of working through or around it
down... Mostly. /smile/

So with Mitzi, I use positive reinforcement to bring her attention back
to me and to her job, which does help to avoid the meltdown. I also
discovered that she doesn't like to be embarrassed in public, so just a
soft stern word when she would be super squirly in front of her fan club
would do the trick. /lol/

It turned out, too, that all the fans would add to the positive
reinforcement by being really impressed when the adorable one would do
something simple like going forward on command. /lol/ Then I could
praise her for that or put her on a find, which she really likes to show
off, so that would get us out of the crowd quick while everybody just
ooh'd and aah'd like a stiff breeze. /lol/

Now that she's more mature, the attention doesn't turn her head so much,
most of the time. Every now and then she will have a floozy episode, but
it's pretty easy to remind her just with voice commands to ease up on
the friendly. And she's pretty good at being all work when it counts and
we're in a difficult or even just normal setting with obstacles and
stuff. So she's guiding. It's when we're just standing around or in a
nice level open place where I'm not going to run into anything that she
will indulge herself. So then if she goes too far, I can reel her in
gently by using positive commands (leave it forward) and praising or
clicking for that. Or just getting a little stern. /smile/

I don't know why your dog melted down in that one case, but I know it
can be stressful on the dog when there are a ton of human distractions
while the dog is still having to keep its handler safe... So finding the
best way for the dog to keep it on track and confident enough in its
work without being so overconfident it turns snotty (or is that just
mine?) is a learning experience...

I'm wondering about the psychology now from what people have been saying
about just refusing to tell everybody the dog's name... Does that
somehow cause the dog to seem less like public property in their minds
or something? I use Mitzi's name in commands a lot, but less now that
she knows when I'm telling her something as opposed to when I'm talking
to someone else. Used to be everyone knew her name everywhere we went
because of all the "Mitzi, this!" or "Mitzi, that!" Hm...