[nagdu] Traveling to Jamaica with a service animal

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 12 16:00:02 UTC 2013

Recently someone on the Travel & Tourism talk list had posted that they went on a carnival cruise with there guide dog and was allowed to leave dog in room, which was encouraged with Carnival having a sign stating that service animal in room.
Also, they were allowed to take there guide into Jamaica with a health certificate and radies form from the vet and also paperwork from the pettravelstore.com
I have been on the phone and e-mailing with the Jamaica Tourism Board and also with the Jamaica Husbandry which is part of the Department of Agriculture there in Jamaica.
Since it states on the Jamaica website and the Husbandry website, that service animals not born and breed in the U.K. were not allowed into the Country of Jamaica, plus there is also a quarantine in place as well.
Both places have informed me that, none of there polcieis have changed and are investigating the issues.
Maybe one day service animals from the USA will be allowed into Jamaica but not at this point.
Also as we know as being members of NAGDU and the NFB, and if I am wrong someone can please, politely let me know, the correct policy.
That whether at an NFB event or not, it is not favored of leaving dogs unattended in hotel rooms, etc.
My understand that when you do so, you are giving NAGDU and the NFB a bad name. Just my own opinion here.
And many of us have a difference of opinion on this issue, and I do not want to start a fight etc on topic either.
Just correct me if I am wrong on this.
Thank you for your attention to this.
Cheryl Echevarria, PresidentNFB Travel & Tourism

Disabled Entrepreneur of the Year 2012 of NY State
Leading the Way in Independent Travel!SNG Certified - Accessible Travel Advocate!Cheryl Echevarria, Ownerhttp://www.echevarriatravel.com631-456-5394reservations@echevarriatravel.comhttp://www.echevarriatravel.wordpress.com2012 Norwegian Cruise Line University Advisory Board Member.
Affiliated as an independent contractor with Montrose TravelCST - #1018299-10Echevarria Travel and proud member of the National Federation of the Blind will be holding a year round fundraiser for the http://www.NFBNY.org after Hurricane Sandy and other resources. Any vacation package booked between November 6 2012-November 6, 2013 and vacation must be traveled no later than 12/30/2014 a percentage of my earnings will go to the affiliate.  Also is you book a Sandals for couples or Beaches for families and friends resorts vacation, $100.00 per booking will go to the affiliate as well.  You do not need to be a member of the NFB.org, just book through us.