[nagdu] Traveling to Jamaica with a service animal

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Feb 12 16:24:36 UTC 2013

I've never heard of any NAGDU or NFB policy on the general leaving of
guide dogs in hotel/guest rooms.  the only thing I know of is the
expectation that at a national convention you will not leave your dog
unattended in your room.  This wasn't always the case and only came
about due to problems and the necessity of damage control.

The NFB needs the lowest possible room rates to attract people to come
to the conventions.  the hotels are more likely to give those low rates
if they know the organization will police itself and create minimal
issues for other guests.  The nicer guests we are, the more likely we
will be asked back and be given attractive rates at the hotel.

Outside of national conventions, my understanding has always been that
NAGDU supports the personal independence, freedom of choice and the
inherent responsibility of it's members.  I have always felt like NAGDU
believes it's members are adults and will make wise choices with their
personal needs in mind.  that doesn't always happen, of course.  But I
think generally guide dog handlers make good decisions and when we don't
we'll have the opportunity to learn and do better next time.

I think leaving your guide in a hotel room is a personal choice.
Hopefully you will know your guide well enough to know if this is a
reasonable option for you.  I would also hope that you'd do a couple
trial runs to test your dog in this situation.  I've left Monty in a
hotel room for about five minutes while I went literally next door to
speak to a fellow traveler.  I could easily hear if Monty barked and
could get back within seconds.  He was fine, however I don't think I'd
leave him for very long.  I think he'd be upset if someone knocked on
the door or if he heard a lot of people talking in the hallway.

Of course there is also the risk of hotel staff entering your room and
letting your dog out or other unforeseen problems.  Like anything else
though, I think it's important to weigh the risk and benefits and do
what you feel is best for you.

I think this is an important thing for us to discuss.  It's been a while
since it last came up and there are a lot of new people.

Julie