[nagdu] guide dogs in seminary

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sun Feb 17 21:29:39 UTC 2013

I've had guide dogs since 1973 and, really, I've had only a few incidences
where I was kicked out of someplace because I had a guide dog.  Then again,
I have lived in mostly large cities.  Even when I lived in a real small
rural town for foour years, I had little troouble. Maybe because most people
in town had horses and dogs themselves.  I used to go to my nieces' schools
and talked to their classes about blindness and guide dogs.

I find that most people actually like dogs and more of the problem is their
interference of working dogs becausse they are used to only pets.

Julie, I belong to non-blindness groups here in San Diego.  I find that I
have to educate them on blindness issues and proper guide dog ettiquete when
they all want to play with Landon! LOL!  In my Democratic Party club, I had
to educate the rest of the board members when I joined the board last year
as club secretary.  They would do votes by raising their hands - well no
help to me to record votes that way!  I just joked with them by saying, "Hey
guys, your hands aren't loud enough for me to hear the votes!"  They cracked
up and from then on did actual voice votes for me. I tape the meetings and
that's fine by them - the only one who hears the tapes is me to do my
minutes from them.  then I reuse the files (digital "tape") for more
meetings.  On my first day on the job, one of the members said that Landon
was now an honorary board member!

I just go to clubs or political groups who are friendly and open to me as a
blind person - and of course, ones who share my politics!  Just go to groups
that interest you and see what happens and how open people are to you to
determine if you want to stay with that group or not.

Lions clubs - well I'm not going to go there about my experiences with them.
Over the years my experiences have been negative to sort of negative
generally but individual Lions can be really great folks.  Hey, I dated one
several years ago and he was fairly good about blindness issues but not
perfect.  Lions members are just like anywhere else and any other group of
mostly sighted folks.  I know several blind people who are in Lions here and
they're okay.  I didn't know that NFB had a Lions Division.  Hopefully, the
people in that group can educate the rest of the Lions on better blindness
attitudes.  Eve is right, Lions support alot of things all over the world.
they get involved in local issues, blindness, deafness, diabetes, support
guide dog schools.  Many seem closed minded like you had with attitudes
towards owner-trained guide dogs.  I've seen that in my own blind community
here.  Now that's something folks NEVER encounter generally unless people
get to know blind folks who have trained their own dogs.  Outside the list,
I personally have known two people in all my years of being around and using
guide dogs.  One person in Boston who did it in the early 1970s and another
person I met in CT in 1998 while I was visiting a friend of mine.  Both of
these owner-trained dogs wwere very good and no different than
school-trained ones.  Here in my own community, I spoke up in defense of
owner training and that it can be done by the right people who really know
what they are doing.

Lyn and Landon
"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown