[nagdu] clicker training

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Feb 18 13:27:26 UTC 2013

Lora,

I don't think the absence of corrections encourages bad behavior, if
that is what you mean by pushing you over.  You are still teaching
boundaries, what is acceptable and what isn't, you just aren't using
corrections.  Instead of a dog choosing not to do X because it will get
in trouble, he is actively choosing Y because it will be rewarded.  So
for example instead of a dog not stealing food from the counters because
you will shout at him, he chooses to keep his feet on the floor because
he will get pats and maybe a treat every now and then.

Having said that, please understand that dogs are different.  Some dogs
are inherently more pushy, frequently checking to see if the boundaries
still stand or if you have changed your mind.  I don't think the method
of training contributes to this, I think it is a personality of some
dogs.  It is important to be consistent with the rules, especially with
these dogs.  I think it is the consistency that is important, not the
particular delivery method of that consistency.

HTH
Julie