[nagdu] Clicker training

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Feb 20 13:47:07 UTC 2013

Julie J, thanks for the very clear explanation of how to begin clicker
training.  No one has explained it so well to me before.  I did look at a
book, but, like you said, it was all "click when your dog looks..." and not
all that helpful for a blind person.

Ben is a sniff monster.  A friend thinks using the clicker might help fix
that, and I understand how I could, say, ask him to touch my hand when he
starts sniffing.  I get that process.  But Ben is very smart.  He's also a
wise guy, with his own agenda.  Might he think "hmm, if I sniff, and she
asks me to touch her hand, and I get a treat, then, if  I sniff more, I'll
get more treats?"
Maybe this is what the originator of this thread meant by the dog pushing
over on the person.
Tracy