[nagdu] clicker training

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Mon Feb 18 22:11:14 UTC 2013

Cindy,

Excellent explanation.

You can now be sure, though, that any number of clicker-trainers,
including myself, never use leash corrections. Or any other
punishment-style form of negative reinforcement. /smile/

That doesn't mean there is no negative reinforcement component to
applied operant conditioning (as used in clicker-training). It just
involves removing the reward from undesired behavior, then rewarding the
desired behavior that replaces it. Once you and your dog both have your
heads wrapped around that process, it all appears instantaneous, or
nearly so. When you're training up an obnoxious, rebellious scurvy cur
of a juvenile, it appears that you may just be standing around looking
the other way in your yoga "mountain pose" while your dog does a lot of
dancing and pulling and whatnot at the other end of the leash. /lol/ The
mountain pose involves standing rooted to the ground in a very balanced
way, which makes it great for standing perfectly still like a tether
post while your rebellious young dog learns that it's just not going to
get anywhere in what it wants to do that you don't want it to. This
actually does work more quickly and overall effectively than all the
punishment of yanking and jerking to show the dog who is boss. The
lesson will stick with the young rebel if she comes to the right
conclusion herself while she's still in full adolescent rebellion. Then,
once she decides that what she really wants to do is whatever it is you
want her to, whether she's admitted that you are the boss of her or not,
you're good to go. Until next time, if your rebellious adolescent is a
Mitzi poodle. Ah, the memories! /lol/

With car barkers, which would really set her off when we passed them, I
would just keep walking and repeating "leave it" while I dragged her at
first. Of course, since she was a rebellious adolescent then, not a
guide dog, I was using my cane for O&M and could do that. Being pulled
unwilling in so undignified a fashion wasn't fun for her, but trotting
ahead of me all smiles and happiness *was* fun. So she would stop
resisting and trot ahead pretty as you please. After a while, she might
start a little when a car started barking, but then she would flick her
tail and keep on prancing. /smile/ Silly poodle. She might actually
whine at having to pass up a chance to be a bark monster herself. But
she will pass, and most of the time without so much as a reminder from
me. Well, in harness she doesn't do the whining thing unless she's
really feeling frisky or is just really startled. We went on a buddy
walk the other day though, with her on long leash and me with my cane,
and she did whine passing by a few yards after we had gone through some
very brief versions of those old training sessions. Cracked me up.

Anyway, even advanced training without leash corrections is very
possible and works very well. It can take some creative thinking,
especially with a new trainee, and some patience at the outset. /smile/

Tami