[nagdu] clicker training and echolocation

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Feb 19 13:54:32 UTC 2013

Hello all!

I am thinking of learning better echo location skills to help me be a
better traveler, especially in outdoor off road settings.  I am
specifically thinking of the technique called flash sonar taught by
World Access for the Blind.   It's the tongue click technique where you
listen to the echoes to get pretty detailed information about your
environment.

I understand that this technique has been met with skepticism in the
past.  I understand that it isn't for everyone.  I feel though that it
will give me added information about my environment, allowing me to
explore and challenge what I previously thought would be difficult or
impossible.

I am not giving up working with a guide dog.  I plan to use this skill
to compliment my use of cane and dog, not to replace them.   I am a good
traveler now, but there are things I would like to do or do with more
accuracy and ease than I am able to do now, camping, hiking, roller
skating, archery, moving through airports, outdoor festivals, etc and
perhaps riding a bike.

So my main question is to those of you who use clicker training with
your dogs, especially those who use the tongue click.  Am I going to
confuse Monty with the echolocation clicks since he has been trained
that is a marker signal that he has done something I wanted?   I'm
thinking I can go back to the very first lesson of clicker training
where you teach the dog that click means treat, except this time I will
mix up tongue clicks with mechanical clicks only giving treats for the
mechanical clicks to teach him that tongue clicks are no longer rewarded.

I would also like to know if anyone has experience with using advanced
echo location with your guide dog.  How has it helped you?  Have you
encountered any problems?  Have you discovered you are able to do things
you never thought possible?

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas,
Julie