[nagdu] clicker training and echolocation

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Tue Feb 19 18:47:35 UTC 2013

Julie,

You go, girl! I love echolocation, especially in those wild and crazy
outdoorsy settings, or in wide open indoor spaces... It can take a while
to really get the hang of using the sound signals for direction and
distance. I think once the brain starts processing the information
better, then it comes together fast and gets easy and fun. I'm still
working to improve there, but by now I mostly just have to think about
it and practice some new refinement without the real work and difficulty
I remember from when my central vision started to go.

So I'd been using the clicker for echolocation for probably a year or
more with Mitzi before I clued in that I was even doing it... I caught
myself clicking my cane while she was at the groomer and felt very, very
silly! So I put the clicker away and was completely lost. Um... Oh.
/lol/ I'm still trying to figure out how my dog is not completely
screwed up, since I had clearly been doing everything wrong for quite a
while... I had naively believed that she was so much perkier and happier
on the job when I had the clicker in hand because she just needed a lot
of cheerleading. In retrospect, I think it's because I'm just not such a
pain in her backside when I'm getting the echolocation. The reward is
that I move more smoothly and confidently and all, so she doesn't have
to work so hard to get me where I need to go. When I don't have the
clicker, she still knows what to do, but I started to realize that I
just don't have the confidence to go along without hesitation or
second-guessing... I still have to work on that sometimes, even though
you would think I had figured out by now that I can just trust my dog
whether I'm detecting what's around us or not. Sigh.

I've experimented with using the tongue click, but haven't really got
the hang of it. Using the finger snap in conjunction with the white cane
is useful. With Mitzi, that's my signal that I've had enough of the
nonsense, I really mean it, shape up now, and so on. So I haven't tried
cultivating that technique for when I'm working with her. Also, my right
hand seems to do better with that, and I use her on my right. Also,
since using the mechanical clicker so very, very wrongly hasn't
completely messed her up, I haven't put a lot of effort into phasing
that out. It's just too convenient. /smile/

I'm interested to see how that works for you with Monty. He sounds like
an awfully smart dog, so you will probably find that he can figure it
out surprisingly well. Like Mitzi, he knows what to do and how to make
you happy while he's working. So maybe it's just that the basic tool for
behavior capture is no longer what the experienced dogs need? I dunno.
Let me know when you figure it out. /lol/

Tami