[nagdu] Event

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sun Feb 24 18:29:24 UTC 2013

Dar,

Yeah, I've had people do all of that... It doesn't even surprise me
anymore, actually. I did use to wonder if there was some useful way to
deal with those sorts, but then I gave it up as a lost cause. If they
haven't learned manners or even common decency by the time they foist
themselves on little old me... I ain't their momma! /lol/

These days, I tend to just look at the intrusive and ill-mannered in a
world-weary and jaded way, which seems to result in their taking it
elsewhere. Well, I also make sure to telegraph -- when I can hear it
coming -- that the hands-on interference is not okay and will not be
tolerated. When a hand does end up where I am not willing to tolerate
it, I guess I've learned to use The Look effectively enough that it goes
away before I have to remove it. So far, recently, anyway.

I do try to make a distinction between the just plain jerks and the
good-hearted but misinformed. With the latter, it's all smiles and chat
about how the dog does this or I do that, how's the weather... /lol/ I
actually enjoy those encounters. I suppose the first clue which is which
is whether they come into my personal space to begin with. Someone with
manners might say something that seems foolish to me, but from a
respectful distance and in a more respectful tone.

Your dog will keep learning, and you will keep learning to pick up on
what he's telling you about doors and restroom stalls. And people will
still comment on his lack of training if he doesn't take you by the hand
and explain where the door knob is. Sigh. I used to feel pretty huffy
about that sort of thing. Now I just laugh and carry on. Seriously! I'd
like to see them train their dog to do half of what mine does. /lol/

Sounds like you're getting out and having a lot of fun and that you have
a great young guide. That's what really matters. /grin/

Tami