[nagdu] people who persist in petting

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Tue Feb 26 22:58:27 UTC 2013

Well, Marsha, people think they can do whatever they doggone (I left my
usual expletives out) want to when they deal with us.  It is plain old
DISRESPECT.

Some of these folks - NOT ALL - also think it is okay to kill transgender
and gay folks just for who we are.  People piss me off so much at times.  I
guess, fortunately for me, here in San Diego people aren't too bad in all
this stuff.  We don't have a very active blind community but we have a
powerful, large, and strong LGBT community!  I do think that in a city, more
people are more educated about respecting disabled and blind folks.  There's
alot of us out and about on public transit and the streets.  My friend in a
little red-neck area of Georgia says that there are so many really
ignoramuses there in regards to blind. But she also knows some really
awesome folks.

I have been around for 62 years, got my first guide in 1973 when I was 21.
I have lived in major cities and have seen improvements over the years in
regards to how people are with my dogs.  More people are "getting it" and
their kids tell their parents off about petting workinging dogs!  I get a
kick out of that!

I mainly just correct my dog for distraction and people go off in a huff but
very little in any verbal altercations.  If they say anything to me, I
answer with, "Well, YOU caused that!" and walk away.

Lyn and Landon
"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown