[nagdu] new dog, new surroundings, boredom

Daniel daniel.sweeney1 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 2 18:03:50 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

Just a quick note/question.

We cam back from GDB on 12/16/12. So far everything has gone very well. The
weather conditions have not been optimal, but bearable.

Since I am fairly new to my area, and not real comfortable with working in
the snow and ice conditions when it comes to identifying my curb locations
when they are covered up, I have a couple of questions.

First, do you think I should just wait for a person to work with me as guide
in order to work Cass perfectly to the curb locations? Or, do you think I
should heal her with my cane, and muddle through and locate what I believe
to be the curb location?

I am having difficulties with my positioning due to the ice build up. If I
am confused, I know I will transfer my confusion on her.

If I do not work her, and we just stay in and do play and exercise and
obedience drills, then I worry about her boredom and building up too much
pent up energy. A dilemma for sure.

What do others do in inclement weather? Especially with a new dog?

I have good o and m skills as a rule, so I don't know why this season is
such a challenge for me. Maybe it is because I finally have such a good dog,
I want to train her correctly, and learn the routes, and I am stressing
because of my disorientation.

The problem is the bus stop is several blocks away, and these are the
corners I am having issues with. I am having a hard time finding anyone
available to travel with me for a day or two due to the holiday
interruption. Hopefully I will have someone in a few days, so I am just
trying to make it through a few more days.

Should I just keep playing, or keep the rules fairly strict? I can do the
retractable leash in the back for about 15-20 minutes a time at least twice
a day, and tug and games a couple of times a day, a couple sets of exercise
drills, but she seems so anxious, which makes me the same.

Just nervous and preoccupied here, and looking for suggestions. Thanks.

Daniel and Cass

Daniel Sweeney

Lakewood, CO