[nagdu] Dog smell

Robert Hooper hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Wed Jan 16 15:42:29 UTC 2013

Hello:

To elucidate briefly on a potential cause of the doggy foot smell: dogs sweat through their feet. Although you will rarely find a dog's paws soaked with their own sweat, this could explain the smell. Usually, this is a stress reaction, and not a reaction to heat. I imagine that, just as some people have night sweats, some dogs may as well. Added to this, dogs are going around barefooted most of the time. Thus, dust and other debris can get trapped between their toes and in the tuft of fur on the bottoms of their feet. So, it wouldn't hurt to wash their feet a few times a week--nothing major, just a rinsing or a wipe with a whet wipe should do nicely.
One more thing--as dogs circle a lot when they go to the bathroom, they may step in their urine while finding a position in which to poop. Although dogs have a natural aversion to their own fecal matter, this is not true of urine. So, in summary, we have sweat, urine, and general dirt accumulating on the paws. Dogs do a good job at keeping this clean, so I wouldn't get too horrified--just help them along when needed. I hope this is of some value.
Sincerely,
Robert Hooper
Hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
The Ohio State University, Department of Psychology; Department of Neuroscience
572 Stinchcomb Drive
Apt. 3
Columbus, Ohio 43202-3702
(740) 856-8195