[nagdu] Dog smell

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Wed Jan 16 17:37:02 UTC 2013

Yum! I will have to take a good sniff of my sister's lab while he's here
to check out your theory. /lol/

Mitzi smells like her latest shampoo for a long time, then she just
smells like her, which is very faint.

The puppy smells like roasting duck just about to come out of the oven.
That could have been because they were on the Duck and Potato food. Now
we're doing a fish formula, which stinks like there is no tomorrow every
time I open the food bin to feed the dogs. So I haven't worked up to
sniffing the puppy. /lol/

Oddly, even though she loves water -- so I suspect some lab in there --
she doesn't smell like wet dog. Whether that will change with adulthood
and different body chemistry, I don't know. Mitzi doesn't smell like wet
dog when she's wet, just like a wet Mitzi or her latest shampoo... That
was great when we lived over in rainy western Oregon, since taking a wet
dog into the store is something one does. /lol/ Of course, we would have
to spend some time letting her drip before proceeding, even if I toweled
her off. That poodle hair is super absorbent! /lol/ Also, when we were
in a small apartment, I was happy enough not to have the pervasive odor
of wet dog all the time... I don't mind the smell because I love dogs,
unless it's overpowering. Ugh!

I was just telling DD this morning how much my sister's lab reminds me
of how you describe your Ben. Charlie would make a terrific guide dog,
actually, if one could figure out where to put all 105 pounds of him.
Good thing he's so mellow; he takes up half the house! But he is very
unflappable and self-contained and just kinda okay with everything,
nothing exciting, it's all good... Wake me up when it's time to go. /lol/

Tami