[nagdu] Question for owner trainers

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Jan 24 23:04:22 UTC 2013

I start training the day the dog comes to live here. I start where ever
the dog is in understanding the world and go from there.  Monty knew his
name and sit, so we worked on walking nicely on a leash, understanding
that dog statues are not actually dogs, the garbage truck is not
stealing our stuff, to maintain his dignity around other dogs and about
a million other things.  I don't start harness training until the dog is
close to a year old and then only very light work, like maintaining a
line and stopping when I ask.  You don't want to start younger because
it can be detrimental to their physical health.  Also you need to wait
for a decent level of mental maturity.  that doesn't arrive until near
adulthood.  Guiding requires processing multiple streams of information,
making projections of outcomes and making decisions on the
extrapolations.  That level of thinking isn't possible until near
adulthood or quite frequently a few months after.

HTH
Julie

On 1/24/2013 3:13 PM, Danielle Nicole Larsen wrote:
> Haha sorry
> Question 3 was supposed to say what age do you start training
> Stinkin auto correct lol
> Sorry!
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 24, 2013, at 4:00 PM, "Julie J."<julielj at neb.rr.com>  wrote:
>
>> All my owner trained dogs have come from shelters.  I did look at other options, but none worked out in the time frame I was working with.  I also wanted an older puppy or young adult.  Those are very plentiful in shelters, but not quite as much from breeders.
>>
>> I make most of my own equipment.  I have purchased harnesses from a variety of sources, but am most happy with the equipment I've made myself.  I'm currently using a collar made by Coastal and a leash from Bridgeport equipment and my own harness.
>>
>> I'm not sure what your third question is asking.  Perhaps you could rephrase it?
>>
>> HTH
>> Julie
>> On 1/24/2013 2:20 PM, Danielle Nicole Larsen wrote:
>>> Hi guys!
>>>
>>> I have a few questions for those who owner train their dogs
>>> I know I have asked some of these before so please be patient haha my memory is horrible !
>>>
>>> 1: where do you get your dog from?
>>> 2: where do you get your harness / equipment ?