[nagdu] Question for owner trainers

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu Jan 24 23:34:34 UTC 2013

Hi!

I've only owner-trained one dog so far, and I got her from a breeder
that happened to have an older pup who needed a home that was right for me.

Most equipment I have gotten off the shelf, except for my guide dog
specific gear, which I got at first from Julie's company, On The Go,
which is now Pawpower Creations, where I have gotten the rest. I am too
lazy to design my own, although I did cobble together an early training
version of a guide dog harness from spare parts.

The age question is a bit trickier to answer, and there is a lot of "it
depends" in the equation. Because of the business and operational
structure the guide dog training programs are working within, the phases
of training are compartmentalized from the puppy-raiser/walker phase to
the training of the specific guide dog behaviors and work. For an
owner-trainer, there is a lot more overlap.

I tend to consider the whole package under the term "guide dog
training." There's a lot more to what the dogs do in the course of their
work than go left, right and forward!

So the early training in obedience and manners, along with the
socialization and exposure, can start the second you get your pup.
/smile/ Naturally, with a young puppy or a pup with no or limited
training, the actual "training" sessions are small and undemanding. But
you will be spending an awful lot of time with the pup beyond formal
sessions laying foundation for future training and teamwork.

As for the specific guide dog training -- you can build in some
behaviors and commands while you are doing the socialization and
exposure. So with Mitzi, I began from the first to use those commands
along with basic leash walking, as well as some important safety
behaviors like stopping at curbs and the like. Actually, it made walking
the dog a lot more fun and relaxing for me, and I discovered that she
was learning to communicate helpfully with me very early on. So I do
that with the family pet, too. I may be using my cane and doing
cane-style orientation, but the pup picked up quick from Mitzi about how
to direct me around obstacles and even to be aware of overheads. So I
can let her go ahead of me and just kinda stroll along with my head
elsewhere without bunging myself up. Cool!

When to put on a guide dog harness and really refine and put the
building blocks together to come up with a real working guide? It
depends! /grin/

I would suggest considering two factors, both having to do with
maturity. One is physical structure. Different breeds mature physically
at different ages, and of course individuals within those breeds reach
phases of maturity at slightly different ages. So you can use the
general expectations for the breed of your dog to come up with a good
idea of when to consider asking more of the dog physically by starting
it in harness. Observation of your individual trainee is important, too.
I believe it can really help to avoid orthopedic problems later on to
wait until you're as sure as you can be that the dog's skeleton and
connective tissue are ready for adult stress, especially the unusual
repetitive stress imposed by the harness and pull.

I also would look for psychosocial maturity, as well as how the pup is
doing in applying what you have been teaching it so far. How
consistently does the pup remember to stop at curbs without having to be
reminded? How often does it still get excited by distractions and end up
pulling or almost pulling you into things. Does it listen and respond
appropriately to your voice commands on a fairly consistent basis? How
does it handle stress? Has it started to show signs of having a sense of
responsibility? And so on.

In general, I think in terms of starting a new train between 12 and 24
months on the guide dog part. But I don't consider anything between 12
months and 18 months as viable for intensive training. So with Mitzi, we
were doing short stints on familiar routes with a good reward at the end
not longer after the 12-month mark; however, she was far from ready for
more until around 18 months. Then we expanded our horizons more, but I
was really, really tender with her. She started showing me she was ready
to take over the job by around 20 months, but I waited until she was 24
months to let myself think of her as finished. I didn't want to put too
much pressure on her and jinx that wonderful yet delicate temperament of
hers.

If I go poodle again, I will first approach the same breeder for my next
pup, since she breeds for temperament and good health, and I feel likely
to come up with another Mitzi in both regards. If I switch to Dobie, I
will check various breeders and am already sending out feelers among
people I know and trust who know dobie breeders here and there, and
their stock and so forth.

With poodle, I plan to use the same general rules of thumb for when to
move from one phase of training to another, based on the maturity
factors. I want to do everything I can to ensure my guide has a long and
productive career!

I'm not at sure about the maturing process for dobies, but will be
researching that as I come nearer decision time in a couple of year...
Or am I down to the one year left? Yikes! I want to go with baby puppy
(8 to 12 weeks) this time, so I need an early start. Possibly, I need my
head examined!

I will also be checking shelters when the time comes, as well as other
sources, including word of mouth. More important than breed X or Y is
the physical health and temperament of the individual prospect. I feel a
bit nervous about the notion of a shelter dog, especially an older pup,
because of the possibility of bringing home bad baggage that can ruin
everything... But I know enough owner-trainers who have had really good
success with shelter dogs to think it's worth looking!

So there's a long answer to good short questions.

Tami