[nagdu] Intelligent disobedience

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Jan 30 18:02:22 UTC 2013

Sometimes I get mixed up about exactly where I am, and tell Ben to do
something dumb, like turn to cross the street before we get to the
crosswalk.  He says No, and I insist, and he insists back, and, after 2 or 3
times, I finally get it through my fat head that this time he is right and I
am wrong, and I tell him how great he is.
I know all guide dogs do intelligent disobedience, but do they all insist
when their silly user persists in wrong-headedness?  Or is this a special
feature I need to remember to mention, when it comes time for New Dog?
Actually, I did just tell Seeing Eye to put it in my record that I need a
dog who insists, but I wonder if it really goes without saying.  But then,
some things I think go without saying apparently don't.
So, do all guide dogs insist in disobedience, even in small things like the
right place to cross the street?
Tracy