[nagdu] Traveling to Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Island with a guide dog

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 29 15:05:03 UTC 2013

Good morning all:
I have just spoken with the USDA Office in Puerto Rico because I had someone contact me and ask me about traveling to PR.
In the past, I never needed anything for Puerto Rico when entering, no one ever asked me, etc. And many of you know that Nelson my darling husband is from there.
There website states that you need documents such as USDA Health Certificate and copies of current rabies vaccination to travel interstate, which made no sense, because we do not need these documents when we fly to FL, Texas or drive in my case over the George Washington Bridge to go to New Jersey, that is interstate.
Elizabeth said because you are leaving the Continental US; you will need that. I stated that is not what interstate means.
In any case, I did further investigation.
No, No you don't have to get permits like when you go to non-US Territories, yes they have ADA laws, in fact, Alipido Rolon, President of the NFB of Puerto Rico, used to be a guide dog user.
But just wanted you to have the latest updates and if the webmaster or NAGDU can please post this information:
The website with the information is at this link:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/area_offices/states/puertorico_info.html#links

Disabled Entrepreneur of the Year 2012 of NY State
Leading the Way in Independent Travel!SNG Certified - Accessible Travel Advocate!Cheryl Echevarria, Ownerhttp://www.echevarriatravel.com631-456-5394reservations@echevarriatravel.comhttp://www.echevarriatravel.wordpress.com2012 Norwegian Cruise Line University Advisory Board Member.
Affiliated as an independent contractor with Montrose TravelCST - #1018299-10Echevarria Travel and proud member of the National Federation of the Blind will be holding a year round fundraiser for the http://www.NFBNY.org after Hurricane Sandy and other resources. Any vacation package booked between November 6 2012-November 6, 2013 and vacation must be traveled no later than 12/30/2014 a percentage of my earnings will go to the affiliate.  Also is you book a Sandals for couples or Beaches for families and friends resorts vacation, $100.00 per booking will go to the affiliate as well.  You do not need to be a member of the NFB.org, just book through us.