[nagdu] 11th trip in the ambulance

Criminal Justice Major Extraordinaire orleans24 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 8 03:24:04 UTC 2013

Hi, all,
Well, I didn't want to do it, but had to last Tuesday, July 2nd, 2013.
The night before on the 1st, Odie began to alert that something was medicall wrong with me.
Sure enough, he was right.
As I bent down to clean up after him, it felt as though someone kicked me square in the chest or just punched me hard.
I felt myself short of breath and figured I'd try to sleep off my asthma trouble.
Next morning around 7:00 in the morning, I woke up and Odie was pushing on the bed matress, telling me that I really needed to get medical help, fast.
I felt that Odie was my priority who needed to be fed and bathroom right away.
Around 8:00 AM, I finally pushed my Gold Eagle Systems medical alert alarm, describing to the call center what was going on with me medically.
Denver Paramedic Dispatch called back, letting me know they received a medical alarm from Gold Eagle Systems and began to ask what was going on.
While talking with them, Fire Station4 and an ambulance showed up.
I made it clear that since Odie is my medical alert service dog, he would be going with me as me to the hospital.
i'll admit that by the time I arrived at the hospital and was settled in the exam room inside of the emergency room, Odie calmed down tremendously.
He actually went to sleep, being assured that I was going to be all right.
Cause of my asthma flare up was due to the heavy, duty, smoke from all the wild fires here in Colorado and being in an apartment complex where half of the air conditioning works right while the rest doesn.
Confession time here...
I'm sure some may think I was a little too rough on the fire department and paramedics when it came to me being firm that Odie was going with me, no ifs or buts.
Reason being is sadly, there have been cases which have popped up here in Denver, Colorado were some paramedics denied a service dog into the ambulance.
No good or clear reason why, but I hope this will be investigated further and if I have to fight that one, than I will do so.
I also forgot one thing.
I did praise Odie lots for letting me know there was definitely a medical problem that needed to be addressed immediately.
ONce inside the emergency examination room, a paramedic tapped the cushion bench just next to me on the left hand side to see if Odie would get up on it or not.
Thanks to the hard, training, my partner said, "Oh NO! I'm going to go underneath the bench to lie down on the floor like my mommy taught me."
Although I am feeling better, I still have to be careful and probably listen to the news more to keep a lookout on the air quality.
If it is really bad outdoors tomorrow, then I don't plan on going anywhere unless I absolutely have to.
I'm thankful and blessed to have Odie as my medical alert partner.
He's save me lots, even when it isn't medical related.
He's also a great walking live carbon manoxide/smoke detector as well.
If he were to smell smoke, he'll let me know immediately.
I just may have to write a book on my partner.
I'll probably call it:
The Four-legged Furry Hero
in the hopes that people may like it.
Well, catch you'alls soon.
Bibi and son Odie
medical alert angel

More information about the NAGDU mailing list