[nagdu] National Convention--my opinion

Danielle A. Creapeau dcreapeau at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 19:47:23 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

It was awesome meeting some of you at convention last week. Valla and
I didn't attend Monday night's NAGDU meeting because she got snapped
at by not 1 but 2 dogs. I'm the first to admit that she did distract
on these other dogs but I corrected and we were almost past them when
they jumped out from under their handlers' chairs and tried to come at
her. Needless to say, she was way too wound up to go anywhere after
that.
Anyway, I noticed a lot of things during the week that shocked me,
made me think and made me very happy. First of all, I'll say that this
was my first convention so I don't know if some of these things are
commonplace at convention or not. I was sort of shocked by the size of
the park area for the dogs. It was about the size of a single parking
space and from what I understand, there were a couple hundred dogs in
attendance. I felt that this was way too small of a space for all
those dogs. Not to mention that it's filled with sand which gets
pretty sludgy with waste and rain water. Valla wouldn't set foot in
the box and I didn't blame her. As I understand it, the White Cane
fund takes care of the park areas and I also am aware that it costs
money to set up these relief areas. Is there anything that we as a
division can be doing to make the area bigger or cleaner? Furthermore,
as the week went on, I noticed a lot of accidents near the escalators
that were just left behind for someone else to clean up. Valla had her
accidents as well; I'm not saying that they don't happen but I thought
we were supposed to try to clean them up and tell someone from the
hotel staff about it. I know that these were near escalators but I
feel like that's no excuse. If you're at the bottom of the escalator
when it happens, step aside and let people through but don't just walk
away.
That being said, I'm sure there were plenty of handlers who did stand
by the messes and did their best to clean them up.
I was really surprised by the amount of people who were on phones,
eating, talking or goofing off while working their dogs too. again,
not trying to imply that these things don't happen but it was
frustrating when someone else was too busy doing something else while
his or her dog distracted on other people or dogs.
I did, however, meet a whole bunch of people who genuinely inspired me
with the bonds they have with their dogs and the way they worked as a
team. Valla and I just met in October of 2012 so we're still feeling
each other out. It was just amazing to see teams that flow together so
beautifully.
anyway, that's just my take on the week. Hope everyone's having a good Tuesday.