[nagdu] German shepherds and cats

Shannon L. Dillon shannonldillon at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 05:04:24 UTC 2013

I don't think a school is going to let a shepherd out that has a high pray
drive. I think that would probably be something that would make it fail as a
guide dog. All the schools I'm aware of have kennel cats that are intended
for dogs to get used to cats.  So once you bring the dog into your home,
you'll need to allow time for the animals to adjust to each other. But I
think that would be the case no matter what animal you brought into your
house if there is already an animal living there. But I don't think any
school is going to let a dog out that would hurt your cats. They can't have
a dog with a high pray drive that takes off after a cat or squirrel in the
middle of guiding you. They have to be able to ignore distractions.