[nagdu] National Convention--my opinion

National Association of Guide Dog Users blind411 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 13 11:14:21 UTC 2013

Lyn,

There are specific NFB staff people assigned to maintaining the relief
areas. They police the areas three or four time each day and completely
change out the material at least twice during convention, more if needed.
The relief area has been a challenge for us through the years and we are
continually working to make it better. It is very difficult due to the sheer
numbers of dog we have at our conventions. I know some have cited the ACB's
way of doing things. Again, the difference is in the numbers. Our
conventions draw nearly 3000 participants compared to the 1000 or so at ACB.
If the percentage of guide dog users is the same - and I suspect it is - we
have 2-1/2 times more dogs. I have also heard, but do not know this for
sure,  that ACB has volunteer dog walkers to take the dogs out and pick up
after them, something NFB does not and would not have!
	We are always open to suggestions of how we can make this whole
experience better. I think the bottom line is that we need more cooperation
from the guide dog users present to make it work. With 350 - 400 dogs in one
place, this is the rub!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala