[nagdu] German shepherds and cats

L Gwizdak leg1950 at cox.net
Mon Jul 15 17:45:15 UTC 2013

I have a friend who had two Fidelco shepherds and they both were fine with
her cats.  Yes, they like to chase and play but the dogs have to be taught
that the cats aren't for eating!

I, too, have heard about the high prey drive of many Fidelco dogs.  Back in
the 1970s, I saw a TSE shepherd who had killed a cat.  In the kennels, there
are cats but the dogs have no real access to them.  I know that in some of
my TSE classes, we had an evening lecture and someone broought a mellow cat
to the class and the dogs had to ignore the cat in the room and any
agression or over interest earned the dog a stong correction.  Since those
cats retired, don't know if they have new cats to use.

I think part of the problem is that the dogs don't appear to have been
socialized with cats as puppies with their raiser.  I had a Lab that was
really fixated on cats.  I spent two weeks with a friend and that dog was
fixated on her cats.  After two weeks of being able to interact with that
very dog savvy cat, my dog got it oout of her system and wasn't fixated on
cats anymore.  My friend had two shepherds.  My dog actually played "soccer"
with my Mom's cat!  That Lab never was agressive, just very curious.  When I
baby sat that cat when my Mom was out of town, the two would sleep together
on my dog's bed!

Lyn and Landon
"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown