[nagdu] German shepherds and cats

Doug Parisian eggmann at mymts.net
Mon Jul 15 18:35:55 UTC 2013

Like so many dog breeds, unscrupulous and/or uneducated back yard breeders
have adversely affected many breeds looking for specific characteristics
with no attention paid to possible less desirable traits.

Specifically with shepherds, American back yard breeders have contributed to
temperament issues, skin problems, and hit problems.  I know many police
forces and some guide dog schools have had to start with strains from other
countries.

My first dog was a donated shepherd who had the above problems in abundance,
though that dog could walk me through the eye of a needle without touching
the sides, maybe cause he was trained by Garry Matoon?  He was also
extremely excitable and it took serious leash work to chill him out, and
after two years, the Seeing Eye recommended he be retired.  They accepted
responsibility for their selection and my replacement cost me nothing.
Garry actually visited Winnipeg twice and was astounded at how over-excited
Brut got when I visited high schools in my job as career counsellor with our
federal government.  The required high collar corrections to chill out my
dog didn't look good!

Indeed, with the improved breeding stock at TSE, if I go for dog number six,
my preference would in fact be a shepherd, in part due to their natural
deterrent appearance.  I've had four subsequent excellent workers, two
yeller labs, a retriever, and a black lab.  They were all good workers but
far too cute, chick magnets not withstanding.

Doug: Menu for tonight: shepherd's pie!